Red Velvet Cake Recipe American step by step 2022
Red velvet cake, better known by its English name ” red velvet cake, “is a red-colored sponge cake that can vary from dark to bright red or red-brown. Which usually has interspersed layers of cake and cream.
If you want to learn how to prepare the famous red velvet cake, follow the recipe shared by Norka Gallardo and give confectionery a try. You’ll see how easy it is to cook with Recetas.
- Price: €0.6/person
- Calories per 100g: 355kcal
- Sponge cake recipes
- Traditional sweet recipes
- Chocolate dessert recipes
- Dessert recipes with cream cheese or Mascarpone
- Spoon dessert recipes
- Original dessert recipes
- Dessert and sweet recipes
- Cake recipes
- 275g wheat flour pastry
- 20g cocoa without sugar
- 300g of white or regular sugar
- 130g butter
- 1 tsp. chemical yeast (Royal type) or baking powder
- 1 tsp. sodium bicarbonate
- Two eggs
- 250ml by Buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- Red Food Coloring Paste
- Cheese glaze: 100 g. of butter, 400 g. of cream cheese, 200 g. of icing sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract
How to make Red Velvet Cake or Red Velvet.
Today’s recipe is an idea for dessert, a cake that has always caught my attention, a deep red and velvety sponge called Red Velvet.
It is a layered cake traditionally accompanied by butter or cheese icing between its layers and as an external decoration.
Investigating a little about what its origin could be, I find that it has a confusing source. It is said that around the 1950s in New York, it was on the dessert menu at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel. When a client, impressed by the taste of this cake, requested the recipe, the chef kindly gave it to her de Ella and added the exorbitant cost of the famous cake formula to her bill de Ella. The outraged client decided to make it public to make it popular, thus revealing one of the hallmarks of the famous hotel.
In Canada, it was a well-known dessert in the restaurants of the Eaton chain around the 1940s and 1950s. Its owner, Mrs. Eaton, pretended that the cake was her invention by surrounding it with mystery, forcing her employees to keep silent about the ingredients and the preparation of this cake.
Another version seems to be the most credible, which ensures that it was during the time of rationing during World War II when necessity forced bakers to use cooked beet juice to improve the appearance of their cakes, this being the Origin of Red Velvet.
In any case, this recipe was revived in popularity in 1989 thanks to the movie Steel Magnolias, which featured a Red Velvet wedding cake in the shape of an armadillo. I hope you like it and encourage yourself with this recipe.
Preparation of the cake and base of the Red Velvet
- If we do not have buttermilk, the first thing we will do is prepare it. We put 250 ml. of whole milk in a bowl and add a splash of lemon juice. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes. After this time, it will seem as if the milk had been cut; at that moment, it would be perfect.
- Sift the flour bicarbonate of soda, salt, yeas,t, and coco in a bowl. We booked.
- Mix the buttermilk, vinegar, red food coloring, and vanilla essence in another bowl. In a third bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well each time. We add to this mixture alternately the contents of the bowls of solids and liquids four and three times, starting with the flour. Grease the pan you are going to use with butter. We pour the mix into the mold.
Red Velvet Cake Baking
- Preheat the oven to 180º C.
- Bake at 175º C for 30 minutes. In the center position of the oven, with heat up and down. As each range works differently, I recommend that you pay attention and try to prick the cake with a stick. When you think it can be, if the post comes out dry, it will be ready.
- We have planned to make a layer of cake filled with cream. Surely it will be easier for us to bake the cake in several molds instead of just one. It will save us the work of cutting the layers. Although we always have the alternative of not making layers and decorating them with icing sugar.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool on a rack without unmolding for 10 minutes. Once tempered, we can turn it over and remove it from the mold without difficulty. It is how we get the cake to settle its crumb. It will make handling, cutting, and assembling the cake easier.
Preparation of the cheese glaze and final decoration
- The butter and cheese must be at room temperature to prepare this coverage. First, beat the butter with the sugar until a whitish cream has been created. Add the cheese and the vanilla aroma and top with a rod blender, mixing well.
- Cut the cake with a serrated knife in as many layers as we want. Using a spatula, alternately place a layer of sponge cake and another layer of cream cheese until finishing with the last layer of cake. We finished decorating the cake with cream cheese.
Here you have a step by step in photos where I show how to prepare this Red Velvet cake recipe. Do not miss any detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a yummy Red Velvet cake
- It is a bit laborious to do, but the result is impressive. I assure you that your guests will freak out in colors, in red! The cake is also relatively cheap, enough for about 15 portions at €0.40/person.
- The ideal is to prepare the cake one day in advance if the intention is to weather it and fill it with cream. Once the cake is cold, wrap it in plastic wrap. We keep it in the fridge until the next day.
- Currently, all recipes use red dye to give it its tone. Still, we must also bear in mind that the reaction between the acid in the vinegar and the whey in the buttermilk tends to make the red anthocyanin appear in the cocoa, keeping the cake moist, soft, and fluffy.
- Among all the ingredients, the one that perhaps catches our attention for being unusual in Spanish gastronomy is buttermilk. It is nothing more than buttermilk, a dairy product widely used in confectionery in the US and Europe.
Frequently Asked Questions: Red Velvet Cake Recipe
What makes a red velvet cake?
Popular in the southern U.S., red velvet cake is a vanilla cake with a few tablespoons of cocoa powder and red food coloring mixed in. Vinegar and buttermilk bring some acid to the batter, adding a bit of tanginess that balances out the sweet cream cheese-butter frosting that is standard.
What is red velvet flavor made of?
The distinct flavors of red velvet cake come from the buttermilk, vinegar, cocoa powder, and cream cheese frosting. Some red velvet cake recipes use only a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, giving virtually no chocolate flavor. This leads some people to think that red velvet cake is simply a white cake dyed red.
Is red velvet cake just red food coloring?
You may have heard it said that red velvet cake is just chocolate cake with the addition of red food coloring, but that is actually not the case. The cake’s classic red hue actually came as a by-product of the combination of ingredients used to create its signature “velvety” texture.
What is the difference between red velvet cake and black forest cake?
Red velvet cake is a chocolate-type of cake prepared with cocoa with red food coloring added for the color (and I have no idea whatsoever why it’s so popular). Black Forest cake has a chocolate cake base but between the layers and on top there is a whipped cream frosting with cherries. It’s quite delicious!
How is red velvet different than chocolate?
The main difference between red velvet and chocolate cake is that red velvet cakes tend to be richer and finer than chocolate cakes. Red velvet cake is a type of rich chocolate-flavoured sponge cake that is coloured red, while a chocolate cake is simply a cake made with chocolate or cocoa.
Is red velvet cake just chocolate cake?
Red velvet cake is a traditionally crimson-colored chocolate layer cake with cream cheese icing. It’s usually made with a combination of buttermilk, butter, cocoa, vinegar, and flour. Other experts believe the cake’s name comes from its use of brown sugar, which used to be referred to as red sugar.
- Easy Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Award Winning Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Moist Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Original Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe Martha Stewart
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe Without Buttermilk
- Red Velvet Cake Recipe Mary Berry
- 1kg Red Velvet Cake Recipe
Red Velvet Cake Recipe American step by step 2022