Simple Taco Soup Recipe How to Make It Quick and Easy 2022
A quick and easy recipe for Taco Soup is ready in just 30 minutes! Loaded with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, and beans, the soup is hearty and satisfying.
Taco soup is similar to chilli with its heartiness, but you have all the favourites you would expect in a taco – SO GOOD!
This soup is so satisfying for colder weather and comfort food! It’s regularly on the menu like our Chili de Carne y Sopa de papas and Olive Garden copycat Pasta Fagioli.
TACO SOUP RECIPE
We regularly serve Mexican-inspired dishes in our home, which children and adults enjoy. We love Mexican food from Baked Chicken Fajitas to Taco Bowls or even a classic Guacamole with fries.
This soup is excellent to make for Taco Tuesday during the colder weather. You still get the flavours you’d expect in a taco, but it’s served in a hot bowl. You have the ground beef with tomatoes, corn, peppers, and beans rich broth.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TACO SOUP
SEASONING- Combine ingredients for Taco Seasoning. A store-bought taco seasoning can be used instead; season the soup to taste.
COOK THE MEAT- Saute the ground beef in a large pot with a heavy bottom or Dutch oven, stirring frequently and breaking up the meat as it cooks. Lightly season the meat.
PREPARATION OF VEGETABLES While the meat is sauteed, prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion, says the tomatoes and peppers. TIP: If desired, fresh tomatoes can be substituted for canned tomatoes.
I COOK SOUP- Once the meat is sautéed, add the tomatoes, peppers, corn, drained beans, broth and seasonings. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes.
Create a bulleted or numbered list.
TIPS WHEN MAKING TACO SOUP
- Hearty- This sour is very thick and hearty. If you prefer a soup with more liquid, add more than the indicated amount during cooking.
- Substitute meat If you don’t like beef, you can substitute ground pork or turkey with excellent results.
- Heat- Add chopped jalapeños to taste the remaining ingredients if you like your food on the spicier side.
- Tender Vegetable Onion, green and red bell pepper can be added as the meat cooks if you want the vegetables to be very tender. NOTE: If you don’t have green and red bell peppers, you can use a whole green or red bell pepper.
- Beans can be added with the remaining ingredients if you want them on the softer side. Or, you can add them 5 minutes before the soup is done cooking if you want them to stay firm.
- Carrot- You can add a finely diced carrot with the vegetables if you like carrots in your soup.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO SOUP
I love that the ingredients for Taco Soup can be customized to each personal preference. When serving, we add the ingredients to individual bowls and place everything in the centre of the table so everyone can add what they want. Makes such a fun dinner for the kids.
These are some of our favourite soup ingredients.
- Tortilla chips or crushed Doritos
- say avocado
- Cheddar or Mexican cheese
- Coriander or fresh parsley
- Hot sauce or Sriracha if you want extra heat
I hope this EASY Taco Soup becomes a favourite and rotation for taco night! It’s so good, so forgiving and versatile. Adjust vegetables and seasonings to taste.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
I first shared this recipe precisely five years ago, and it is still a family favourite! I think it’s safe to say this is the BEST Taco Soup ever! It’s just one of those recipes that everyone loves, including picky eaters!
I mean, how can you go wrong with a soup that tastes similar to chilli but has added enhancements like corn, avocado, and tortilla chips? Plus, you get the extra flavour of a ranch or cilantro lime mix (see my notes on that in the recipe). It is one of the best soups, plus it’s easy to make!
How to make Taco Soup
- Cook the ground beef in a large pot along with the minced onion, crumbling and occasionally stirring until browned, adding the jalapeno and garlic for the last few minutes of browning. Drain excess fat (I use tongs and paper towels to soak it up).
- Add the tomatoes with the chiles, beef broth, tomato sauce, chilli powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, ranch dressing mix, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot with the lid and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the corn, black beans, and pinto beans and cook until heated through.
- Add 1/2 cup water to thinned soup if desired. If using cilantro and lime, add it now.
- Serve hot topped with desired toppings.
Can I make it in the crockpot?
Yes! To make it in the crockpot, simply brown the onions and beef, and then the garlic, drain off the fat and add the mixture to the slow cooker. Then add the tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, and spices—cover and cook over low heat for 5 to 6 hours. Add the corn and beans and heat (then add cilantro and lime if using).
Can I use ground turkey instead of ground beef?
Yes, ground turkey or pork would work in this taco soup recipe. If you wanted to make it vegetarian, you could use lentils or another can of beans.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, taco soup freezes amazingly well. I recommend freezing this soup in individual jars or containers so it’s easy to thaw precisely the amount you need.
Taco Soup Tips
- Be sure to drain and rinse the beans so the soup isn’t too salty (if you need to reduce the sodium in the recipe for dietary restrictions, you can omit the ranch seasoning, use unsalted tomato sauce/canned tomatoes and unsalted beans. Keep track of the salt with which the soup is seasoned).
- If you don’t like a spicy soup, omit the jalapeño pepper or use bell pepper as directed. Do you like it spicier? Add 2-4 jalapenos!
- Be sure to drain any excess fat from the ground beef for the best flavour.
Frequently Asked Questions: Taco Soup Recipe
How do you thicken taco soup?
HOW TO THICKEN TACO SOUP. Thicken taco soup by adding a few tablespoons of tomato paste, until you reach the consistency you want. You can also add more meat and black beans to add bulk to the soup.
How long is taco soup good for?
Taco soup will last for about one week in the fridge, though you can also freeze it! Store in individual portions in an airtight container or freezer-safe baggie. When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
Who invented taco soup?
Although the exact origin of tortilla soup is unknown, it is known that it comes from the Mexico City area in Mexico. Traditional tortilla soup is made with chicken broth combined with roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles and tortillas, cut into strips and fried.
Can you freeze leftover taco soup?
Yes! You can freeze taco soup before you cook it or after. I prefer to use a gallon size freezer safe bag and make sure to seal it well so that none of it leaks.
How can I thicken soup without flour or cornstarch?
A handful of uncooked rice. That’s all folks, just a handful of white rice. Any kind will do: jasmine, basmati, short grain, long grain. When added to a brothy (or watery, even) soup, and left to simmer for 20-30 minutes, the rice breaks down, releasing its starch and thickening the liquid that it’s cooking in.
Can I eat soup that has been in the fridge for a week?
How long do leftovers keep in the refrigerator? Although one to two weeks may seem like a reasonable response, the answer is B. Most leftovers, such as cooked beef, pork, seafood or chicken, chili, soups, pizza, casseroles and stew can be safely kept for three to four days.
- Best Taco Soup Recipe
- Original Taco Soup Recipe
- Taco Soup Recipe With Chicken
- Creamy Taco Soup Recipe
- Pioneer Woman Taco Soup Recipe
- Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- Taco Soup Recipe With Ranch
- Taco Soup Recipe Slow Cooker