Sour Cream Pound Cake Vanilla CHOCOLATE CAKE 2022
- Go to Recipe Print Recipe
- I am calling chocolate cake lovers! It is something you HAVE to try; I’m not kidding!
- This Sour Cream Chocolate Pound Cake is the easiest chocolate cake ever. This and my devil cake.
- It’s a super moist sponge cake with a fantastic chocolate flavor, and yes, on top of that, we’ll sprinkle it with a little more chocolate. Let’s get started, okay?
This chocolate cake recipe was not that easy for me. Don’t get me wrong, it IS a super easy recipe, but it was a journey for me to get to this final recipe.
So that you know, I test recipes before I put any recipes here on our website or Youtube channel. Some recipes only take one proof, and bam! they are perfect and ready to share.
For example, others, like this one, took several recipe tests to get it right. Haha!
I did 3 test recipes for this beauty. Both Marco and I wanted a dark chocolate brown cake that was tender and moist and, most importantly, easy to make. Because yes, we all know that if it is not easy, we will be reluctant to do it. Truth?
However, like my Sarawak Pie, some recipes are worth making, even with the extra steps involved. I’m just saying.
We were left with so many cupcakes over the 2-day trial that at one point, I wanted to give some to an Amazon delivery guy who brought us an order that day.
But I did not. I get cautious, wondering if she’ll like the brownie, if she has any allergies or something (I don’t want to be responsible if something happens to her) or if she even has time to eat it because he was pacing impatiently (but politely) as I signed for the package.
And you, would you give your cakes to your delivery man?
Despite my testing, I have to say that this is the simplest and easiest brownie I have ever made.
The method is simple. You have the dry ingredients wet ingredients and then mix the two. Even if you’re learning how to bake, I promise you won’t go wrong with this recipe.
Just watch the video below, and you will see.
This sour cream chocolate cake is:
- very easy to do, despite its elegant appearance
- a must for chocolate lovers
- perfect for impressing your guests this holiday season
- the only brownie recipe you’ll ever need, I promise
- the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE I have ever tasted! Yes!
WANT MORE CHOCOLATE RECIPES?
- Chocolate chip cookies filled with peanut butter
- Chocolate flan
- Banana bread and chocolate
- Mini chocolate panettone
- No-bake chocolate cheesecake
Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream
Despite its elegant appearance, this sour cream fudge cake is one of the easiest to make. A must for all chocolate fans. A super soft and moist cake.
- Five from 5 votes
- Print Pin Rate Servings: 1 bundt cake
- Preparation time: 20 min
- Cooking time: 50 min
- 2 cups all-purpose flour ( 260 g)
- 1 ½ cup sugar ( 300 g)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
The Chocolate Mix
- ½ cup butter ( 113 g)
- 1 cup water ( 250 ml)
- ½ cup bittersweet cocoa powder ( 40 g)
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup sunflower oil ( 80 ml)
- Two eggs L, at room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream ( 125 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a little melted chocolate or ganache, to drizzle on top
Cook ModePrevent your screen from going dark
- Add all ingredients to a bowl, mix well and set aside.
The Chocolate Mix
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and cook over medium heat until the butter has melted. Stir with rods while cooking.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and wait for it to cool down slightly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the chocolate mixture and mix well until incorporated.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and mix well, but not excessively. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix again. Pour the batter into a generously greased 25cm bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175ºC for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Remove from oven and wait 15 minutes before unmolding. Cool completely on a wire rack, then drizzle chocolate ganache on top. Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions: Sour Cream Pound Cake
What does sour cream do to a cake?
Sour cream adds moisture without thinning your batter the same way that a liquid would. That fact that sour cream delivers moisture without further thinning out a batter results in a cake with a very tender, very fine crumb.
What is the secret to a moist pound cake?
Adding buttermilk, sour cream, or cream cheese gives more moisture and flavor to the cake. The acid in buttermilk and sour cream produces a very fine crumb because it tenderizes the gluten in the flour. Sour cream and cream cheese add so much richness that cakes made with them are super moist and almost springy.
Why did my sour cream pound cake fall?
Extra sugar or leavening causes a cake to fall; extra flour makes it dry. Also, use an oven thermometer to check your oven’s temperature for accuracy. Have ingredients at room temperature. This results in a pound cake with maximum volume.
Does sour cream pound cake freeze well?
Pound cake will keep stored at room temperature for 3 days, or in the refrigerator for up to one week. To Freeze: Allow baked pound cake to cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil (or place in a freezer ziplock bag). Freeze the loaf for up to 3 months.
Can I use sour cream instead of oil in cake mix?
Sour cream is a great cooking oil substitute that you can use without a second thought. Its high-fat content will add moisture and springiness to your cake.
Can you use sour cream instead of water in a cake?
To summarize, sour cream can be used in cakes to: add moisture without thinning the cake batter, adding fat for creaminess, controlling browning and to activate baking soda. The sour cream does all of this thanks to its high fat content & acidity.
- Italian Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Melt In Your Mouth Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake With Crunchy Top
- Pioneer Woman Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake With Glaze
- No Fail Sour Cream Pound Cake
- Sour Cream Pound Cake With Cake Flour
- Old Fashioned Sour Cream Pound Cake